Thursday, June 14, 2012

NO SEW! 4th of July Tank


Materials:

plain white T-shirt one size larger than you normally wear (Unless you like them really tight)

pair of scissors

Red and Blue Spray Paint
(It doesn't have to be these actual brands or tints or red and blue. Just make sure you can use it on Fabrics.)










Painters tape or any other type of tape (for the stripes and to use for back side of Stars)











For the stars i just used clip art or you can google stars to find your favorite.

Print and cut out. (I used about 12 Stars for my T-shirt)

Arrange Stars how you like them











Turn stars over and roll up tape to place on back

Place the tape wherever you like for the stripes. They don't have to be perfect!
Take a long strip on painters tape and cut it in half to use along the edge of the stars.
 Take it outside and lay it on a surface that you don't mind getting over spray on. ( I used the garage, Just make sure to remover you car first ;) )




I used paper to put on the inside of the shirt so it doesn't soak through.
Also used paper to cover up the parts i didn't want the other paint on.
Spray one coat and then wait a few hours and do a second. Let it dry over night. Then pull all of the tape off.










I hand washed it the next morning only because I was worried I would get paint on other clothes.

Once you have washed it

Here is a good video I found on how to cut your T-shirt:

http://youtu.be/sZlW6GspLls

Good Luck!

12 comments:

FoodSnots said...

Trying this today!! Hope mine turns out as cute as yours did.

Elena @ baby Ridley bump said...

this is amazingly cute! hope i can get it done before the 4th!

www.babyridleybump.blogspot.com

Beth said...

I'm going to buy the supplies and try this out sometime this week. Hoping it turns out because it would be so cute for our 4th of July swim/BBQ party!

Anonymous said...

Did you use anything when you hand washed it? I did this and would like to wash it so it's not so stiff but am not sure if I should just use cold water or something else as well, I don't want the paint to run or fade

KLeJeune said...

Yes, I use laundry soap the first time I hand washed it. The more you wash it the softer it will get. I have washed mine i think about 3 times and it hasn't faded at all. Its still a little stiff but nothing like when i first made it. Hope this helps!

Everyday girl said...

I just did this the other day and it turned out great! thanks for the idea. I am going to do a post and link your blog as a reference.

Unknown said...

how did you do the back? i want to do this so bad!

Anonymous said...

Gonna get the stuff and do it tomorrow!

Nina811 said...

I love the way you did the back and the vneck. It's perfect. The video you suggested looks so different, I like your style much more. What did you different?

GavinsMommy said...

I did it to my son's onsie!! thanks!!

Garynation said...

Love my shirts! I made one for me and 2 for my kids, now we'll match for the 4th. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

This shirt was my inspiration! I used the same method to make a republican elephant tank top.
http://wp.me/p2BnVQ-6o